#158 The Five People You Meet in Heaven

Title: The Five People You Meet in Heaven Author: Mitch Albom Pages: 196 Publisher: Hyperion
Image result for The Five People You Meet in Heaven

Earlier this year, a good friend lambasted me for my increasingly provocative style, mostly in meetings. I would win facts but lose hearts most of the time. So, this friend told me that i should read more books on psychology and sosiology. Change the win-lose situation into a win-win one. And it was obvious to me that what my friend actually really wants from me is to be a little more gentle and a tad more sensitive. Thus, for the sake of friendship, i gave it try. You owe me one buddy (you know who you are).
Anyway, to be a more sensible being, the best way would'nt be through reading on psychology, sosiology or antropology a.k.a non-fiction. They're still facts and facts seldomly soften hearts. Scientifically, its much better to read fiction. Why? There's a thing called T.O.M (theory of mind). I learned this in psychology during foundation. I could go on and elaborate on TOM but that wouldnt fit the purpose of this review. If you wanna know, you can just ask mr.Google.
Alright, back to the book.
This would be my second Mitch Albom book and I would say he's got himself into my list of favourite authors. I would say, his heartwarming, gentle and sentimental style of writing combined with the lessons within them brings a deep sense of morality, sympathy and empathy.
The title, theological it may seem does not actually discuss the aspects of theology at all. This book was meant to be fiction, and harbors us into the imaginary concept of what heaven would be like to the author. So yeah, never ever judge a book by its title.
Although fiction it may be, the lessons throughout the book will touch you nevertheless.
The story centers around an aged maintenance worker named Eddie and it begins at the end - Eddie's death-. Eddie gets involved in an accident and dies a heroic death. When he awakens he finds himself in 'heaven' and has to meet five people before reaching eternal peace. Among them, some he knew well, and others were total strangers. But they all had something to do with Eddie at some stage of his life and each of them offered explanations to certain events in his life.
Trust me, the explanations and lessons given are worth learning from.
I dont often get teary eyed, but Eddie's encounter with these five people would make anyone shed an eye drop. Even Batman. Tak caya, dipersilakan untuk membacanya. It is a good book afterall. Well written and easy to understand.
I know one book wont be enough to increase my TOM anytime soon but I'm glad to have read this book. Its refreshing and calming in a way. Lebih-lebih lagi time musim exam ni. A good getaway from the unforgiving emotionless world of facts.
But still this book is still far off from challenging Mitch'es Tuesdays with Morrie. If this book got me teary eyed, Tuesdays with Morrie got me crying.
Previous
Next Post »